Monday, May 21, 2012

Role Reversal


The electricity went out after we returned from church yesterday, early in the afternoon. Claire had plans to go out in the evening with friends, but did not want to leave me in the house alone without electricity (Felix and Grandma had also gone out to visit her daughter). After considering the options, we decided to go to the A&C Mall together where she would meet friends after setting me up in the Koffee Lounge to order my dinner and watch Blood Diamond on her computer. I joked that this completed the mother/daughter switch as I felt like she needed to plug me into a movie and give me a juice box. She even came back to check on me once during the evening to make sure that I was okay.

As I sat in the cafĂ© watching the movie with earplugs, I realized how much I was enjoying this new role. Claire has been completely in charge of everything – where we go, bargaining with the taxi drivers, exchanging the money, keeping the money and giving me 5 cedi when I leave her for a few minutes to buy water. She even asked me for the change!

It has been a fun week in Ghana with Claire. We have two more days here and I know that Claire will be very sad to leave. I can see why.

1 comment:

  1. I have SO enjoyed your posts! What a wonderful experience for you both... One that will be surely treasured forever! ~k

    ReplyDelete