Tuesday, May 15, 2012

From America to Africa in 11 hours


It was a perfect ending and a perfect beginning. Sam drove me to the airport, helped me carry my two 50-pound bags of luggage, assisted with the check-in (yes I did have to remove one heavy item from one bag to get it under 50 pounds), and walked me to the furthest point that he could in the airport. With a wonderful hug and an “I love you mama”, he sent me off to Ghana.

Several hours later I arrived at the Kotoka airport. After being met by the health officials to make certain that I had my yellow fever vaccination (that’s another story), going through immigration, then customs, I arrived at the front of the airport where Claire was waiting for me. I could not have been any happier to see her. After a long overdue hug and a few tears, Claire said that we needed to move along as we were blocking other people from leaving.

We stepped out into the warm African air and Claire began to talk with taxi drivers about a fair price to get home. She was not happy with the prices that she was quoted and so we walked down the road until she got a taxi driver who she thought would charge a reasonable price. Well that led to Claire arguing with the taxi driver for most of the ride home. At one point she said to him “You are charging me the obruni price!” I must admit that I was happy to see my daughter going head to head with a Ghanian taxi driver. This was a new Claire!

Today was filled with new experiences. I rode in a trotro and a shared taxi; ate plantains and jollof rice, a rice ball in ground nut soup, and red-red for dinner. So basically all new foods. And all delicious.

It is a role-reversal to be here with Claire. I rely on her entirely to tell me what to do. She is the native and I am the visitor. She is completely at home walking on the dirt roads, hailing a trotro, negotiating with taxi drivers, and navigating the dangerous roads to get where we need to be. She is leading and I am following.

I like this journey with Claire.

1 comment: