Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Living in a Construction Zone

No hard hat needed. Might want to invest in a pair of sunglasses for dust protection. And be prepared, you never know when a construction project will begin or for how long it will last.

Some days it feels like I am walking through a construction zone – this is what it’s like to be in a developing country. A developing country where houses are being built, roads are being paved, and every day something has changed in your route from home to school.

The other day I was going to my internship as usual and was approaching the spot where I normally would catch the second tro-tro on my way to Adenta. As I got closer I noticed that the people who normally sell goods on the side of this dirt road were gone and in their place two new dirt roads had been constructed. “How did this happen?” was all I could think.

One morning at Tot To Teen I was looking out the window while watching a construction project take place outside. In this instance, the woman’s structure (what many of us might consider a shack) was picked up by a couple of men and moved because she was in the way of this new construction project. “Can they really do that?” was all I could think.

Yesterday I was at Tot To Teen and noticed that the front wall of the school compound was no longer there, instead there was tin and a lot of dirt for the construction project taking place right outside. "Is the headmaster okay with this?" was all I could think.

Today I was walking to lunch, along the normal construction route by the main gate, and there we were stopped as four men dug a trench in the middle of the walkway. One of the men said as we passed, “This is Ghana.” And that answered all my questions.

It’s amazing to me the amount of construction taking place around this area, in Greater Accra. Back home when there are construction projects I usually know when, where, and about how long it may last, especially when they may impede people’s daily life. But here I never know. That’s not to say that perhaps the people in the immediate area don’t know but I will probably never know.

For that reason I will keep my sunglasses close by, a handkerchief in my pocket, and an open mind that things change, don’t get settled, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment