Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Ashanti Region


Our last group trip was this past weekend to the Ashanti Region (the yellow area on the map). It was the last time I will find myself in a bus full of obrunis driving around Ghana. So maybe I’m getting a little sentimental but it’s happening, entering the last month of my stay in Ghana.

We left early on Friday morning to begin the drive to Kumasi, the capital of the Ashanti Region. Quite a few of us had been up late celebrating with Melissa for her birthday at Luscious and I found myself sleeping almost the entire six-hour ride there. When we arrived at the hotel we had lunch and then we were back on the road for the afternoon activities.

The afternoon activities included visiting Bonwire, the Kente Village, where we were able to purchase original Kente items as well as try our hands at it too. (The first photo is an example of Kente). I got a little overwhelmed in the small building we were in and so I found my way back to the bus where I was able to regroup. (Sometimes bargaining can become a bit much). Then we proceeded to another village where we were able to observe how they make the dye to put the Adinkra symbols on cloth (The second photo is an example of Adinkra). Each symbol has a different meaning. The most popular symbol is “Gye Nyame” which means “Except for God.”

Then we headed back to the hotel for dinner and an early bedtime. The next morning we headed out to see the traditional Asante homes. We were given a short tour of the building and heard the history of the Ashanti Region. On our way to the Manhyia Palace, now a museum, we got stuck in a lot of traffic and decided to eat lunch before going there. The British gave the Manhyia Palace to the Asantehene (the chief of the Asante people) in 1925 when he returned from exile. We were given a tour of the palace; the chief no longer resides in that building so we were unable to see him. (The third photo is of the Manhyia Palace).

It was then time for the market. Kejetia, the market in Kumasi, is the largest open-air market in all of West Africa. Going into the market requires some mental preparation as the people selling things shout as you walk by, reach out and grab your arm, and you have to maneuver around all the people going in different directions. I really enjoy going to the market now because there’s so much to see but it can become overwhelming.

Melissa and I headed into the market together and we were doing well finding our way around. We found the shoe section where Melissa decided to try on a pair of sandals. When Melissa decided she didn’t want to buy them we were followed by the woman, who was angry with us for not purchasing the sandals, and she started yelling at us. We quickly moved on. It was finally time to find our way back to the bus (we gave ourselves thirty minutes) and then it was time for dinner.

In my three months of being here I have not yet talked at all about food. This is not surprising since at dinner in Kumasi I ate my first fufu. Now that I have eaten fufu I will write about food soon.

The next day, Sunday, we had the morning to ourselves. Nikki, Amy, Melissa, Hannah, and I decided to head back to the market. It was less crazy because it was Sunday and we were able to find the things we had been looking for. Then we had lunch at the hotel and we were back on the road to Accra, back home.

Only two more weeks of class and then exams begin...


No comments:

Post a Comment