Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Lesson Past

I’ve been wanting to put closure to the end of last semester; to take time to reflect on the semester before I left to study abroad; to think about what happened in it’s entirety; and to be able to move forward and be here in this place, in Ghana.

I’ve realized there’s not always a good ending. Endings can be abrupt, can leave us wishing there was something more, and can leave us with unexplained questions. I think that I have experienced an ending like this before now. The thing about endings though is that sometimes they are not up to us. Sometimes we must just close the book and move forward. That’s what I’m doing now. Accepting that in this ending, the ending of last semester, I was completely vulnerable, at the receiving end of someone else’s decision.

So that story has ended, that door is closing, and finally I can open a new door, start a new sentence. But that doesn’t mean that my door is not open to all from the past and to all in the future; it means that it’s time for me to write again, to believe in myself again; to believe that there are people who will support me through the worst imaginable times. I am human. Humans make mistakes. I’ve made my fair share of mistakes and I will continue to do so but I will never walk out on someone, my door is open to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment