Sunday, January 29, 2012

Starting a Project

Over the course of the past week I have been inspired by all the support from home and all of the comments, that I have developed a project I will undertake while I am here. One of the reasons why I am keeping this blog is to provide a view of Africa that may be different and challenge the perceptions we already have. I think the blog is already doing this for some, and for me it’s helping me see the expectations and preconceived notions that I had.

My interest in education and development has led me to this project, to this idea. I’ve always loved creating multimedia presentations with photographs, interviews, and music. This time I hope to follow all of the thirty-eight CIEE students to their internships and to their homestays to conduct interviews as well as take photographs to explore the connection between education and development. Some questions that I want to ask are: What is the role of education in our development and the development of a country? How are these connected? Why do we come to a developing country to learn and what do we learn? What does developing mean?

Each of us is developing, forming our own ideas and learning from the opportunities and experiences here. We’ve each come to study abroad. And yet we’ve come to a developing country, one in which the roads are not always paved, the technology is not at the forefront, so what are we here to learn? Why has our education brought us here? How does education connect us?

I’m open to suggestions, to ideas because I think this can be a learning instrument. It can be something that can be shared, that can travel, and that can inspire others. But it can only be so if others want it too. So for now, it remains an idea, but one that I want to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment